Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Chalupas, Burritos, Quesadillas, and Tacos

I was introduced to the awesomeness that is The Wapo Taco about ten years ago by a former co-worker (at that time, we worked right around the corner at the old Roslindale Highschool).  Wapo is located on Poplar Street across from Adams Park in Rozzie Square (or as the newbies call it, Roslindale Village).  So Friday evening when I developed a yearning for some tacos, The Wapo Taco immediately popped into mi cabeza.  The couple that owns the joint is friendly and diligent.  They describe their menu as authentic Tex-Mex with a hint of the old Southwest.  Everything they serve up is fresh, appetizing and spiced to your liking. 

My fantastic hubs was driving home from work when I called him to ask what he wanted for supper.  I suggested The Wapo Taco.  He happily agreed and offered to pick up our order on his way home.  Score!  I ordered a few Wapo steak tacos (strips of perfectly marinated, tender steak in a soft taco topped with lettuce, tomatoes, shredded cheese, sour cream and their homemade salsa), a Wapo chicken tacos (same as the steak except for chicken and I added diced onions to mine).  My man wanted a chicken quesadilla which is served with sour cream and their homemade salsa.  I remembered that the quesadillas were on the smaller side so in addition to that, I ordered him a steak burrito made with refried beans and shredded cheese rolled in a soft tortilla.  He was psyched but only able to finish half of it.  I decided to try something new so I ordered a chalupa.  It was made on a flat, crispy corn tortilla covered with refried beans, seasoned ground beef, lettuce, shredded cheese and sour cream.  YUM.  Their Mexican red rice is delish so I had to throw a medium order of that in, too. 

The chicken, steak, and ground beef were seasoned just right.  They offer the choice of mild, medium, or hot salsa and/or homemade taco sauce to top your meal.  The veggies and tortillas are super fresh.  We gorged ourselves and still had a good amount left over to snack on later.  And you can not beat the prices.  Our total for all the food we ordered was about $30 which is definitely reasonable.  Their fairly short and to the point menu boasts about their homemade taco sauce, salsa, taco shells, fajitas, seasoned beef, chili and nacho chips.  I can vouch for most of that and it all sure is scrumptious.  You can call in a take-out order or eat in their small dining area.  They are open noon-8pm, every day except for Monday.  So next time you crave some Mexican grub, give The Wapo Taco a try.  You will not be disappointed.  I give the The Wapo Taco a B rating. 

3 comments:

  1. Yum, this place sounds great! I need to get to Roslindale to try some of the restaurants there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like a cool spot! I was curious what Rozzie meant and now i know. very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Wapo Taco change its cooks? We tried it about 10 years ago and ran screaming. The worst taco place in recent memory. I sure hope it's gotten better. It was worse than Taco Bell.

    I'll give it another try...

    ReplyDelete