Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Dog House Restaurant, Dennis Port

It has been a few days since my last entry but no worries.  I am back in action.  The hubs was off for a few days so we decided to head down to the Cape to the Cod to visit with some fam.  Believe it or not.  We flew down there not hitting any traffic.  It was awesome.  My hubs' sister from Ireland, her three wee ones, her friend, and my other sister-in-law were down there staying at their uncle's house in Dennis Port.  And what a lovely and spacious place it was. 

Right after we arrived, we changed and headed over to Mayflower Beach, which was about a fifteen minute ride from the cottage.  The weather was absolutely beautiful.  Only on the boob tube have I seen a beach so jammed.  It was crazy.  There was a queue to park so I decided to jump out of the car and head down to the very crowded beach area.  I immediately started having thoughts of one of my favorite movies ever.  JAWS.  Well you can't blame me.  They have spotted Great Whites off the coast of Chatham and other parts of the Cape and it IS Shark Week on the Discovery channel.  Yeah.  I am a little whacko.  But for realz!  I can't be the only one who thought of that. 

There were men, women, children, coolers, umbrellas, sand toys, tents, chairs, and towels as far as the eye could see.  It was pretty cool.  I was hoofing it through the piping hot sand in my snazzy, new bathing suit and cover-up, sporting my cool cowgirl beach hat and my Jackie O sunglasses.   Loving life.   I spotted my sis-in-law after calling her so she could stand up and wave me over.  It was that busy.  The kids were already in the water so I quickly said hello to the adults then headed right into the ocean.  The water was perfect.  We played in the sand, splashed in the sea, chatted, ate a picnic lunch of ham and cheese sandwiches, chips, pretzels, chocolate chip cookies and lemonade, and went to the snack shack.  It was the bomb.  That night, it was thundering and lightning and pouring rain.  We ate take-out from Royal Pizzaria for dinner which was pretty good and consumed some Mike's Hard Cranberry Lemonades then hit the hay pretty early.  We were exhausted. 

The next morning, after drinking a coffee from Honey Dew and for sure deciding that Dunkie's is way better,  the hubs, the three kids, and I headed out for a pretty long walk.  We ended up down the very end of a street at a smaller beach.  We took our shoes off and waded in the water.  Some of us got a bit more wet than others but I won't throw anyone under the bus.  So, we decided to head back to the cottage to change then drive back to the beach with all of our gear instead of trucking it all the way down and back.   

On our way down, we stopped for a bite to eat at this cute, little indoor/outdoor spot named The Dog House Restaurant.  Obviously, their signature dish is hot dogs and DAMN!  They were freaking delish.  We all got our own and shared a large order of hand cut fries.  MMM.  The dogs were a good size and served on a buttery toasted roll.  Mine, which I smothered with yellow mustard and sweet relish was devoured in pretty much two bites.  The place offered every kind of topping you could dream of.  From chili to onions to salsa to good old fashioned ketchup or red sauce as the kids call it.  The menu featured all the Cape Coddy kinda treats.  They had burgers, fried clams and fish, dogs, chicken sangies, onion rings (which I wish we had), ice cream, lemonade, etc.  We sat at one of their outdoor picnic tables and enjoyed our lunch while chatting and people watching.  I have to comment on the effective system and set up that this joint came up with.  One line was to order, pay, and receive your green flashy thingie which lets you know when your food is up.  There was another window for pick up.  And then another area to get your fountain drinks and another spot for condiments, napkins, and straws.  No congestion or bottlenecking.  Genius!  We loved the place.

Our day at the beach was long and fabulous.  We all had a blast making sand castles, swimming, and playing.  After a while, we headed back to the house to hose off in the greatest outdoor shower I have ever experienced.  The pressure and temperature were right on!  Our next stop was the go cart track.  FUN!!  After that the hubs and I ate dinner at a place that sucked so bad that I don't even want to mention the name.  The bottled beer was the only thing on the menu that was edible/drinkable.  Yup.  The place was awful.  But to make up for that joint, we ended our evening with homemade ice cream and sundaes from Sundae School via my sister-in-law.  OMG! 

We had a wonderful time on our last minute, two day trip to the Cape.  I especially enjoyed spending time with family and having a good old time with our nieces and nephew.  Fun ages and a spectacular mini-vacation!  And we of course love trying new places to eat!



No comments:

Post a Comment