Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Bagels and Bees

A couple of days ago, my adorable nieces and nephew came over with their mom from Ireland for a visit.  The twins, a boy and a girl are five years old and their little sis is three.  Perfect and fun ages!  They are too funny with their Irish lingo and their brogues.  We thoroughly enjoy spending time with them and have been hanging out with them on a regular. 

Yesterday, my sis-in-law and mom-in-law dropped the kids off so they could spend the afternoon with us.  We gave them each these cute little plastic, potted flowers that dance in the sun.  They loved moving them back and forth from the shade to sunshine to watch them move.  Then, we wrote with chalk on the driveway which lasted a whole four minutes.  We did some gardening and harvesting which they really enjoyed.  They loved sitting and swinging on the hammock so that kept them busy for a good amount of time.  The sprinklers were a huge hit.  They loved running back and forth then drying off and doing it over and over.  They also enjoyed taking turns switching the water on and off.  It totally reminded my hubs and I of how important it is to appreciate the simple things in life.  We were all having a grand old time. 

For lunch, they ate egg and poppy seed bagels with cream cheese and slices of LOL American cheese which they LOVE.  After they finished, they had some sweeties (candy).  I bought the Hershey's miniatures so they could each choose which kind they wanted to munch on.  We decided to head outside to eat some fudgsicles then run through the sprinklers some more.  That was a very good idea because they were all covered in chocolate.  When they tired of that, hubs had already left for work so we danced to the radio on the backporch a bit, then went inside to change out of their bathing suits.  They wanted more sweeties and freeze pops and who am I to say no?  So they chowed a little more. 

Later on, I suggested we go for a short walk to the end of my dead-end street and back.  They were all for it.  We ventured out with our water bottle, just in case we became thirsty on the 3 minute walk down and back up the hill.  We were chatting away, counting the fire hydrants, everything was going great.  We decided to sit out front on the steps in the shade.  As we headed up my front stairs, my nephew, who was right behind me, started yelling and crying.  A flipping bee had stung him right between the eyes and he knew exactly what had just occurred.  I was a freaking panic but kept myself in check.  I picked him up and hurried the girls into the living room.  I have never been stung so I was totally ignorant of what to do.  I attempted to gently squeeze the stinger out and think I got it.  At this point, my nephew had stopped crying so I knew the pain couldn't be that bad.  I wrapped a bunch of ice cubes up and he held it over the sore and swollen area.  I quickly pulled out my laptop, which for the first time ever, decided to freeze up on me.  Breathe!  I went for the hub's computer and knocked some things over in the hurry which the kids inquired about.  They wanted to know what I was doing and why.  My older niece told me that her mother had looked to the interweb for answers on a previous injury to one of them.  I was relieved to hear that.  I was trying to give all of them my attention.  And at the same time I was trying to read bee sting care instructions and freaking out inside.  I thought if he was going to have an allergic reaction, it would have happened already.  OMG!  This all went down in the last ten minutes of their visit.  Their mommy and granny arrived to them chilling and watching cartoons and to me needing a stiff drink.

So just in case you find yourself in my shoes, here are six easy steps for bee sting care that I found on-line--

1-First check the stung area of your body for the stinger. Sometimes it may be left in your skin. If so, take a pair of tweezers and remove it immediately.
2-Wash the area with soap and water right away.
3-Place a cold ice pack on the stung area for about ten minutes. This will help the swelling go down and help relieve the pain.
4-Take a benedryl while holding the ice pack on your sting.
5-Apply some hydrocortisone to the sting. This will help with the sting itself.
6-If necessary, apply a bandaid.




No comments:

Post a Comment