Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mount Vernon, Somerville

My family, (who should all be reading my blog and loving it) frequents and fancies the Mount Vernon.  It is the go-to restaurant for a good, reliable dinner.  It is located on Broadway in Somerville, less than a mile from the border of  Charlestown.  I can't tell you how many dinners I have eaten there or how many 'times' our family has hosted or attended there.  To say the least, we dig the joint! 

Wednesday night, my madre, bro, hubs, and I went for a belated birthday dinner for my man.  If available, we like to sit on the bar side of the restaurant in one of their comfy and very roomy booths.  Both sides were pretty dead so we had our choice of where to sit.  Penny, our waitress had a great personality and a great sense of humor.  Although, she was a bit slow on the uptake with getting us our second round of drinks.  But her attention to detail and funny demeanor made up for it.  The minute we sat, she delivered a basket of popovers.  I was so bummed.  I do love my carbs in most every form but popovers, I do NOT care for.  I guess, others tend to love them.  They used to serve a warm loaf of fresh wheat bread on a cute little wooden cutting board.  Oh well!  I had to sit that round out. 

The waitress took our whole order and must have sensed my hunger.  She offered to bring our soup out right away. Word!   I ordered the chicken with rice soup which, in my opinion, lacked flavor, veggies, and rice.   That didn't stop me from slurping up the entire cup in two minutes so I guess it wasn't that bad.  My bro had the clam chowder which he reported was good.  I was famished so we decided to order some wings dings to hold us over.  They were tasty and crispy and cooked just how I like them.  I could have eaten the whole plate but I stopped at three.  They came with a sweet and sour dipping sauce which I didn't sample but the fam seemed to like it. 

We sat and chatted and our dinners were delivered before we knew it.  The madre got the roast beef (cooked perfectly) dinner with mashed and a sliced tomato.  I tried a wee bite and it was very good.  My bro got the cheeseburger club which he enjoyed very much.  I was too full to try a square.  The hubs enjoyed and put a hurting on the prime rib with mashed and a veggie medley.  The portion was ginormous and it was cooked just right.  I, for some odd reason, decided to eat light and ordered a BLT with American cheese on wheat with fries.  It was just what the doctor ordered.  Perfection!  I inhaled the whole sandwich and all the fries (minus the ones the hubs stole). 

Of course, three out of four of us ordered dessert.  The hubs got the tapioca pudding (uck! in my opinion) and loved it.  My bro, the strawberry shortcake made with a real biscuit and big enough to feed a small army.  He enjoyed it.  I ordered the warm apple pie a la mode which we all shared.  Delish!  The coffee and Bailey's made it all that much better. 


The Mount Vernon is a family owned and operated business which has been in existence for a very long time.  They have three locations in Somerville, Lynnfield, and Revere.  My family has been eating there since before I was even born.  The food is great and the service is, too.  The menu is varied and has tons of options from fresh seafood, burgers, corn beef dinners, (on st patty's), etc.  They always have a huge list of specials, as well.  I give the Mount Vernon in Somerville a B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment