Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Lemons!


The other day, my generous neighbor gave us a bunch of lemons, a couple of tomatoes, and some blackberries.  So I thought to myself.  When life gives you lemons...you create a recipe to use them!  My brain immediately started to think of ways to put those lemons to good use.  Maybe add some of the lemon juice to our daily smoothies?  Maybe mix up some delish lemon/vodka concoctions?  Hmmm. 

We have been pretty busy and the hubs has been working a ton so I haven't cooked a sit down dinner for almost a week.  So, I decided to browse the interweb for a new recipe to use for our Sunday supper.  There were various lemon recipes to obtain ideas from.  I had just purchased some chicken at Rochie's so I decided to make a chicken with lemon and potatoes kinda dish with Kellyb flair, of course.  No diggity!

The temperature outside had dropped a bit but I did not want to heat the whole house up by using the oven.  I preheated the grill to 350 degrees and started to prep the awesomeness.  In my opinion, chicken on the bone is always so much more tasty than plain old boneless chicken.  I slapped the four boned breasts seasoned with salt and pepper into a roasting pan (sprayed with Pam) with the sliced potatoes, diced onions and green and yellow banana peppers (from our garden).  For the next step, I poured the juice of two fresh lemons and about a half cup of olive oil over the meat and veggies.  After that I used my handy dandy garlic press to destroy 8 cloves of fresh, peeled garlic (from my cuz), I sprinkled that and a good amount of oregano on top of everything in the pan.  I love using that cool, little garlic press thingie, for some odd reason.   My last step was to add a cup or so of water to the corner of the pan.  For a garnish, I sliced another lemon and placed the pieces on top of the chicken.  That extra step really did contribute to the fabulous presentation.  When I put the roasting pan on, the grill had heated up to a little over 350 degrees so we were good to go.  The on-line recipes varied on the cooking times so I decided that about two hours would be sufficient.  I turned the chicken after an hour and at that point, the enticing aroma made my mouth water. 

To accompany the main entree, I sliced up a fresh zucchini (from our garden) and threw it on the grill wrapped in some tin foil for the last fifteen minutes of the roasting.  I made a small Caesar salad, too.  After waking the hubs from an afternoon nap, we dined together at our kitchen table.  The outcome of the meal was pure scrumptiousness.  The potatoes were absolute perfection and so lemony and the chicken was spiced and cooked to our liking.  Besides the olive oil, the majority of the ingredients were very healthy, too.  The gorgeous and delicious outcome is pictured below.  I totally recommend this recipe and cooking on the grill made it that much better. 





No comments:

Post a Comment