Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Monday, October 3, 2011

Food Highlights of the Weekend

So much food to blog about and so little time.  I have enjoyed various tasty treats over the past couple of weeks.  Here are some of my most recent.  Love food. 

Friday I made a delish beef stew in the crock and some yummy kielbasa (recipe previously posted) to snack on for an appetizer.  As a nice surprise one of my fabulous guests brought homemade guacamole and salsa, using lots of vegetables from her garden.  Both dishes were fresh and tasty and we got to keep the leftovers.  Word.  We also learned from the chef that if you leave one of the pits of the avocado in the dip, it will decrease the chances of the concoction turning brown.  And guess what?   It worked.  Useful!

The stew slow cooked for 8 hours making the meat literally melt in your mouth.  It was fantastic.  My recipe calls for potatoes, carrots, onions, fresh mushrooms, flour, salsa, stew beef, beef bouillon, Worcestershire sauce, Bisto, onion soup mix, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, hot sauce, some basil, and water.  Slice, dice, and cut the veggies into good sized pieces and mix everything except the meat in the crock.  Place the stew beef on top, cover, and cook on low for eight hours.  Stir often.  As you know I tend not to measure ingredients.  So just use your judgement and add and subtract depending on the number of people you are cooking for.  Keep in mind one pound of stew beef mixed with the veggies is about 4 servings. 

The next day we ordered a late lunch to be delivered by Checkmate.  I wrote my review of this joint some weeks ago and as you know I likey.  The fried pastrami with American cheese and extra mushrooms  that I ordered and devoured was the bomb.  I would not feel right not mentioning how perfectly cooked and toasted my sub was.  Credit is due.  It was salty, crunch, cheesy.  Awesome!!  The rest of order was also very good. 

On Sunday, we ventured out to for some pizza, fries, salad, soup and beers at The Pleasant Cafe which I have mentioned in a previous blog.  We enjoyed our dinner at the bar. The service was a bit iffy, as the bartenders don't take food orders.  Bugs me every time.  Bizarre but whatevs.  After a bit of a wait we placed our orders and eagerly waited for our supper.  Per usual, the pizza and fries were soooo good.  The salads were fresh and the chicken and rice soup was super.  The place does creep me out at times but their food is always good and mostly reliable.  If you grew up in or around Roslindale, you KNOW The Pleasant and you either love it or hate it.  We love it. 

We ended our extended weekend with a late breakfast on Monday at the Spring Street Cafe.  As always, everything we ordered was fantaBulous!  From the coffee to the crispy bacon to my fluffy pancakes, I was more than satisfied.  The only negative of our visit was that they had just run out of the blood sausage that is included in the hubs' Irish Breakfast.  They made up for it with extra bangers.  We will forgive them this time.  Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment