Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Bamboo, 02026

The hubs and I love trying new places and he also loves him some Chinese food.  He chose the cuisine and I suggested Bamboo in Dedham (they have three other locations as well), next to the Holiday Inn.  Their menu features Japanese and Chinese dishes and Sushi options.  I have eaten there once before with some girlfriends and really enjoyed it so I figured I would share the food love with my man.  Chinese is SO not one of my favorites but I am willing to compromise on occasion.  And it is usually an eat in kind of dinner for us.  But we decided to get a little crazy and venture out on a rainy Wednesday evening for a long overdue date.  Might I add?  I was looking pretty snazzy.  Sporting my new to me with the tags still on it since April, leopard print rain jacket.  Stylish and practical.  Word. 

There were hardly any other patrons in the joint when we arrived.  The friendly host seated us immediately in a roomy booth located in a quiet corner.  The restaurant is divided into a small bar area, a Sushi bar, and two medium sized dining rooms with a buffet set up in the rear.  Our waiter was diligent and attentive at first.  But by the end of our meal, not so much.  That's when I/we decided to jet and enjoy some delectable desserts elsewhere.  But that's a whole other blog. 

We ordered our cocktails right away.  The white sangria with tiny pieces of apple and other fruit, which was fab, for me.  And something called a Gingy Sling (if I remember correctly) is what I decided on as a girly drink for the hubs.  BOO!  We both hated it and it sounded so delish on paper.  Uck.  Way too strong but the pumpkin liquor in the concoction was delightful.  I was disappointed because the last time with my chicas, the drinks were spectacular. 

After viewing the menu filled with a million options, we placed our sizeable order.  First we enjoyed fresh and crisp house salads with a tasty ginger dressing.  Yum.  After that our Bo Bo for two and vegetable tempura was delivered.  The Bo Bo included shrimp tempura, crab rangoons, boneless spareribs, chicken wings and fingers, beef skewers, and two egg rolls.  It was served with sweet and sour sauce and hot mustard.  And the lightly fried vegetables included two types of peppers, eggplant, squash, carrots, and broccoli served with tempura dipping sauce.  The appetizers were good but definitely not anything to write home about.  Don't get me wrong we got our fill and agreed that we've had better.  But I have to say the chicken wings were crispy and delicious and the boneless spareribs were addicting. 

The main entree arrived a while later.  It was a sizzling beef, scallop, and veggie dish in a sweet sauce and a side of chicken fried rice full of sprouts and peas which I despise.  Both dishes were mediocre.  I did enjoy the crunchy veggies from the surf and turf plate but the scallops and meat were chewy.  And by that time, I was pretty full from our first two courses.  The portions were not huge.  Although there was an ample amount for us to enjoy.  We did have some food left over to take with us, too. 

The food may have been just average but our date was a huge success.  We chatted, laughed, mocked, and appreciated each others company.  And we ended our fantastic evening at the bar at Isabella's in Dedham enjoying some scrumptious desserts, wine, and coffee drinks.  What a wonderful night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment