Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Pickling!

Today, for the first time in my life, I decided to pickle up some cukes and peppers from our garden.  This year's crop has been plentiful.  So I decided to look up some pickling recipes and get to work.  The pickling process was simple.  As usual, I mixed and matched various recipes from the interweb and came up with my own cooking concoction.  I made a different brine for each veggie group.  For the cukes, I combined sugar, vinegar, water, kosher salt,  and all spice pebbles for the brine which I added to the raw, sliced cukes and garlic cloves in an air tight jar.  They will sit sealed in a cool, dark place for up to 6 weeks.  For the banana peppers, chili peppers, jalapenos, and other peppers (now I wish I added an onion),  I combined sugar, vinegar, water, salt, peppercorns, and bay leaves for the brine which I poured over the raw halved peppers and garlic gloves in an air tight jar.  Those will sit along side the soon to be pickles.  Here's hoping I am in store for some deliciousness after a fairly long wait.  TBC. 

1 comment:

  1. yum, I'm in a pickle craze right now. I did up some carrots, beets, and radishes earlier this summer. Now I'm obsessed with spicey dilly beans.

    ReplyDelete