Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Monday, August 8, 2011

Cucumber Salad and Mj's

I love to cook and I enjoy the actual art of the process.  It relaxes me. It's something I do to keep my mind active.  I like being creative with the ingredients and coming up with new recipes. 

The hubs worked Friday.  On Saturday, I was at the Red Sox/Yankees game which the Sox won and my amigas and I had an absolute blast.  So I had planned to make a feast of a dinner on Sunday so my man and I could sit together and catch up.  To accompany my awesome ribs (the hubs helped), fresh corn on the cob, and baked potatoes, I made a cucumber salad which I had been marinating since Friday evening. I made a similar version with tomatoes last summer and it was fantastic so I pretty much used the same ingredients minus the feta.  I didn't have any in.  :(  I thinly sliced two medium sized cukes, chopped two medium green bell peppers and some fresh parsley.  All from our garden.  I added a small diced up onion to the awesomeness.  For the dressing, I combined a heaping teaspoon of white sugar, 4 minced cloves of garlic, salt, pepper, two tablespoons of white vinegar, one tablespoon of cider vinegar and I sprinkled in a tiny bit of dill.  After pouring the dressing over the veggies I gently mixed it up then refrigerated it until Sunday.  The final product was so pretty and beyond delicious.  It really complimented our scrumptious meal.  The hubs even liked it and he does not usually care for cukes. 

Monday, around dinner time and after a bunch of cleaning and errands for the better part of the day, I was starving.  The hubs was at work which left me to my own devices.  Steak and cheese with extra shrooms, boneless buffalo fingers with bleu cheese dressing and a crispy order of fries?  Why!  Yes please.  I don't mind if I do.  Oh!  Don't worry I didn't eat all of it.  At least not in one sitting.   

If you are from in or around the Roslindale area, you should definitely be familiar with Mj's on Belgrade Avenue.  My hubs is a family friend of the owner, a great guy who supports the community.  The hubs grew up with the owner's sons so he/we have been enjoying Mj's for a good long while.  They have a huge menu of appetizers, fresh salads, Italian-style pizza, hot and cold subs, calzones, burgers, wraps, dinner plates, etc. They do take-out, delivery, eat-in, catering and they have daily specials.  Their steak and cheese sub is without a doubt the best I have ever eaten in my whole entire life.  The steak is lean, tasty, and just greasy enough.  It is served with just the right amount of American cheese on a fresh sub roll.  I always add extra mushrooms because I love me some shrooms.  The boneless buffalo fingers are tender and just the right amount of spicy.  I love them.  They serve their fries in a cardboard box in a brown paper bag, as God intended.  That way, they don't get all nasty and soggy.   Even though I didn't indulge in their fabulous marinated steak tips this time.  I have to give them props and two thumbs up.  They are delectable.  The dude that took and reviewed my phone order and the one who delivered it was pleasant.  My food was hot and it arrived in under a half hour.  And the portions are sizable and the prices very reasonable. 

The long running business has been "proudly feeding the community for over 30 years."  So next time you have a yearning for some delivery/take-out, I recommend that you order lunch or dinner from Mj's.  I give them a rating of B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment