Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Saturday, August 13, 2011

Redd's in Rozzie, 02131

Earlier in the day, I declared Friday evening to be a date night. After a long day of errands, volunteering, and getting my hair did at Apple Salon, I was wrecked. And I could tell my hubs was just as exhausted from his daily activities. Just the same, we both decided to rally and headed out for a late dinner at Redd's in Rozzie.  And I am so glad we went because we had the best time.  I have been there once before.  But the hubs was a virgin to Redd's.  Exciting!  The restaurant is located on Washington Street in Roslindale in the same building as the former Geoffrey's.

By the time we got spiffed up, hit the ATM, and landed at Redd's, it was after 8pm. To say I was famished is an understatement. I could have jumped someone for a piece of bread by that point.

We were greeted immediately by a friendly dude named Zack who ended up being our server. The host greeted and attended to us in a timely manner. We decided to sit in the outdoor area because it was such a beautiful evening. I was a bit concerned about the bug biting situation but I quickly got over that.

Zack took our drink order which consisted of a PBR on draft for me and a bottled Unibroue Ephémère Apple Ale for my man. The apple ale was a lighter ale with a subtle taste of apple. It was delightful. The wine list is lengthy and the beer selection is interesting but on the smaller side. They also have some festive cocktails. And I know for a fact that their sangria is flavorful.

We placed or appetizer order the second Zack returned with our beverages.  The hush puppies with sweet onion and bacon ragout is so delish. The sweetness of the hush puppies which tatsted like a varitaion of cornbread, with the fabulous ragout is to die for. And they give you plenty to munch on. The fried whole belly Ipswich clams served with spicy ailoli were so light and crispy. Paired with the spicy dipping sauce, they were even more scrumptious. Then we decided to share the nightly salad special. It was a Caprese salad with sweet yellow tomoatoes with creamy fresh mozzarella in a homemade vinegrette dressing. It was fatastic. We put a hurting on most of the starters and still had a couple of hush puppies to bring home to the mutt.



After we ate our fill of the appetizers, I realized that we never received our basket of sourdough bread and homemade corn bread with sweet butter.   I really wanted the hubs to try the mouth watering butter so I requested our well deserved portion of bread. I love and need me some carbs. The hubs was very much in agreement about the butter. He was using it as a dip not as a spread.

For my main entree, I went the boring route which totally worked out to my advantage. I decided on the grilled half chicken with dirty rice, zucchini, and lemon chicken jus. It was freaking amazing. I was more than content with my choice. The chicken was perfectly spiced, so lemony, and baked just right. And the rice which I mixed with the cubed zucchini was surpisingly tasty. I was very eager to have the hubs sample my awesomeness so he could share in on one of the best chicken dishes I have ever eaten. Chicken is one of his least favorites and he totally sided with me. It was yummy and the portion was huge. The hubs very much enjoyed his baked summer flounder with roasted summer veggies and their very own tartar sauce. He gave me a couple of nibbles of the fish.  I liked it but could never make a meal out of any sort of fish dish.

Both of us were pretty full but we hardly ever leave a restaurant without indulging in something sweet. I loved the pecan pie which I ordered last time I was there so the hubs accepted my suggestion. We shared a pretty good size of homemade Oma's pecan pie with whipped cream. It's made with whole, crunchy pecans and it's so sweet and gooey. Delectable. We washed our final treat down with some lukewarm coffee and Frangelico because they ran out of Bailey's.  The concoction was very nice. 

Last time I ate at Redd's, I tried the hanger steak and buttermilk mashed with greens.  Savory. The steak is prepared on the rare side so if you are like me, you need to request it to be cooked a bit longer. The mashed are so creamy and addicting. And the locally grown greens are some of the best I have ever sampled. I also tried a bite of one of that evening's nightly special of fried chicken. In my opinion it was missing something but I coudn't put my finger on what it was. Maybe paprika or garlic?  Don't get me wrong, it was still good. My friend raved about the homemade baked beans, as well.

I love how funky and eclectic the place is.  From the down home Southern style menu options, to the patrons, to the staff, to the glassware. They serve hot beverages in cool, personalized mugs. The water is bottled in neat glassware like old milk jugs and wine carrafes. The staff members are more than friendly and accomodating. The joint was pretty busy that evening so the service was on the slower side. It wasn't to the point of annoying, though. I am the type that likes to sit, chat, and digest my food between courses so I didn't mind one bit. Their service is team oriented which only makes sense.  Your food arrives hot and scrumptious.  Anyone from your server to the bus boy to the chef to the manager can bring out your order. The funky bar area is cozy with a good sized bar and several tables. And they have a medium sized dining room and additional tables in the cute outdoor area.

Lead by Chef Delicious, otherwise known as, Charlie Redd, they serve dinner Tuesday-Saturday and brunch (which I am dying to try because I have heard mixed reviews) on Saturdays and Sundays. The prices are reasonable, the food is tasty, and the portions are on the larger side. I recommend Redd's in Rozzie and I give them a B rating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment