Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Dinner with the BFF, Sugar, and leftovers!!

My preggers BFF(who loves food as much as I do) came over last night for a grilled steak dinner made by yours truly.  We had a lovely time catching up and stuffing our faces until we were full to capacity.  The baby, HER momma and godmomma need to eat...right??  I am not the master of the grill when it comes to bbqing steak so I had to throw them back on for a bit, as they were still mooing when I went to serve them.  When cooked to our liking, we enjoyed them with baked potatoes(cooked on the grill) with butter and sour cream, shrooms in a delish homemade sauce, and corn on the cob which I could have boiled for a bit longer.  My bad!  Overall, it was a filling and tasty supper.  We both put a hurting on our plates but I still ended up with one full steak left after all was said and done.  Score!!!  I was already thinking steak quesadillas made by the hubs, steak and eggs for breakfast, etc.  

Today, the husband and I decided to grab some coffee and a snack for a late breakfast at Sugar Baking Co. and Restaurant in Rozzie.  The place is adorable and bright with a wide open storefront window to let the breeze in.  The old Boschetto's Bakery sign hangs on the wall to remind us of the previous, half a century ownership.  There are a good amount of tables and a small counter to sit at in the dining area and the bakery is located in the back of the building.  You can order any baked goods and coffee at the bakery counter which is convenient.  The assortment of fresh, homemade bread on display made me want to order one of each but I refrained.  I definitely could not live without carbs!!!  The coffee was strong but good.  I could tell by looking at the croissant that it was just going to be mediocre and it turned out I was correct.  It was on the smaller side and not as buttery or flaky as I tend to like.  I tried a bite of the homemade blueberry muffin and it was scrumptious.  The halfmoon which I ordered for an afternoon snack had sweet, smooth chocolate and vanilla frosting but the cake/cookie part was dry.  I will go back for a late, sit down breakfast (served until 3pm) and/or lunch and dinner.  The menu which I look forward to sampling, looks interesting with tons of fresh, locally grown ingredients.  The staff was friendly enough.  I give Sugar in Rozzie a temporary score of C+.

A couple of hours after our visit to Sugar, I was starving so I decided to cut up half of the leftover steak from last night's dinner and throw it in a frying pan with the shrooms and sauce and cook it all up.  While that was warming, I made a cup of Minute Rice to go with and BAM!! Deliciousness in ten minutos!  When I hear people say, "I don't do leftovers," I want to smack them.  Some of the best dishes I have come up with were derived  from a mixture of leftovers.   So don't be a leftover SNOB!

No comments:

Post a Comment