Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Tavern at the End of the World, Cambridge Street, 02129

My cousin is in town from Florida so the hubs and I went over to C-town for dinner with mi madre y mi prima. The Maternal unit is always hip to the new places to try in and around the city so she suggested Tavern at the End of the World.  She also had a clipping with a review of the joint from the Boston Globe to present to us.  I can always tell how an eatery will be from the parking space we get. We, (the hubs) scored a spot right smack  in front of the place.  Word!!  The bar and restaurant were pretty dead so we had our choice of seating which was cool.  It was clean and neat with an open kitchen.  The dude who greeted us/served us was diligent and precise with taking and delivering our drinks and orders.  He didn't balk when my mother wanted to switch up her fries for homemade mashed potatoes which were lumpy and freaking tasty.  But he pretty much had a personality comparable to the bottom of my flippy flop! The music was blaring tunes and Irish flair was about.  I was very disappointed that they didn't have my fave brewski, Smithwicks on tap so I settled for Miller Lite in a bottle.  Can't go wrong with that choice.  The menu was sraighforward with several Irish themed options such as bangers and mashed, shepherd's pie, etc.   For an appetizer, we shared a delicious chicken quesadilla.  It was served with sour cream and homemade salsa and as I called it, Irish cole slaw (various cabbages and vinegar).  The portions of the fish n' chips served with a homemade tartar sauce and Irish cole slaw and chips (perfect hand cut fries), were heaping and piping hot.  And the meals were served on cute, little fish shaped plate.  I am not a seafood type of girl so I didn't sample the fried fish.  But the consensus was a double thumbs up.  My mother had plenty to bring home for one or two more meals.  Can't say the same for my man...he has a VERY healthy appetite.  My cuz ordered and loved the chicken pesto with tomato and brie toasted on homemade, thickly sliced, awesome bread served with fries.  I took a little nibble and it was yummoooo!  Lastly, I ordered the grilled maple ham, cheddar, and tomato on the same delish bread and fries.  The best part was dousing the fries with malt vinegar, just like I was back in the Auld Sod.  The combination is like no other and the sangie was the bomb!  I would have loved if a pickle had been served with it because I love me some pickles!  The prices were reasonable and the menu had several pub fare options.  There was only one dessert choice which was, I think, a fried Mars Bar.  The lack of sweet options was a disappointment because I LOVE dessert.  We opted for another beer and negged the candy bar.  Overall, I give Tavern at the End of the World a B.  I will totally go back and I believe it would be a cool place to catch a game and have some apps and beers.  Most importantly, the fam and I had a good old time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment