Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Friday, February 17, 2012

Cumpleaños de mi Madre!

The other evening, my family and I went to P.F. Chang's at the CambridgeSide Galleria to enjoy a birthday feast in celebration of my mother's birthday.  Our (my mother, brother, and my) tradition FOREVER has been that the lucky person celebrating a birthday gets to choose a dinner of their choice.  This year, my ma chose PF Chang's.

The restaurant was DEAD so we had a roomy seating arrangement and time to chill while chit chatting.  Our servers were friendly and efficient.  The team approach to service is the only way to go, in my opinion.  It just makes sense.  This China Bistro is not one of my faves but it wasn't my birthday.  Now was it?  I hear tons of comments from my loving family just like the previous.  Feel the love?  Ha!  And it's not like I totally hate the food.  It's just not my cup of tea.  Chinese cuisine is not at the top of my list.  Fo sho.  And the hubs and others LOVE it and I am all whatevs.

No worries.  I managed to force down a couple chicken lettuce wraps with their signature sauce, a tasty and very messy Chang's spare rib, a couple of spoonfuls of the hubs' sweet and sour soup, YUM!  And I devoured a crispy spring roll.  All of our starter choices were super fresh and yummy.  Sapporo Premium was the beer of choice of the majority for the evening.  And that Japanese brew was light, huge, and delish.  The first round wasn't the coldest but the second one was freezing.  NICE.

We put a pretty good hurting on the appetizers so we decided to order only three main dishes to share.  That's how we roll.  We always share our dinners with each other no matter where or what the dish may be.  My family likes to indulge in various cuisines and so do I.  We share the food love.

We ordered Moo Goo Gai Pan which was average.   We were surprised to see in addition to the chicken and veggie medley that we are normally used to, baby shrimp was in the mix.  Bonus.  The Mongolian Beef was just okay, as well.  The meat was chewy but the abundance of scallions was great.  Love them.  To my surprise because I don't fancy seafood, the choice by the hubs was my fave.  The Kung Pao Scallops which were stir-fried with peanuts, red chili peppers, and scallions.  Superb!  To accompany the entrees, I ordered a dish of fried rice with chicken.  You always need rice or noodles to fulfill your carb urge!  The dinners came with white rice, too.  It was all good but absolutely nothing I would write home about.

You all know we did not leave there without nibbling on some desserts and sipping on some boozy drinks.  Mi madre decided on the banana spring rolls which are crispy, warm bites of fried banana served with pineapple ice cream drizzled with caramel and vanilla sauces.  Very different and fantastic.  My bro and I enjoyed a couple of P.F. Chang's frozen mudslides made with lots of booze and deliciousness.  OMG!  Deadly.  The rest of the family had coffee with Bailey's and my madre had Dragon Eye Oolong tea which was served in this cool, heavy, iron teapot.  Adorable.

Overall, I do recommend P.F. Chang's China Bistro.  For a chain restaurant, it is pretty good.  It's just, as I mentioned, I don't love Chinese Cuisine.  I think I may have indulged a bit too much growing up and through my twenties and have reached my Chinese food capacity.  The menu is big enough with options for all food tastes.  And they have a good sized selection of gluten free options which is very hard to find.  The portions aren't huge but big enough to share.  The ingredients taste fresh and light, unlike other Chinese I have sampled.  To sum it up the food was good, the service great, and being with my family and sharing in one of our longest and dearest traditions is priceless.  We all had a great time and have made tentative plans for a trip to New York City in the near future.  WHOOOP!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment