Food is awesome!

Food is awesome!
Food is awesome! (photos on this blog are borrowed from the interweb, friends, and/or are personal shots)

Friday, January 27, 2012

Earl's Jerk Chicken!! (you are welcome)

Earl’s Jerk Chicken-
In blender: garlic, scallions, Scotch bonnet peppers, onions, soy sauce, add salt & pepper to taste
Browning or caramel for color.  1-3 lbs of whole chicken, breast, and/or pieces.  Use your judgement with the amounts of each ingredient.  Don't be scared.  HA!
Marinate chicken in Earl's concoction for at least 24 hours.
Bake in 350 degree oven for about 1.5-2  hours or until chicken is done.
For gravy- (optional)
Scotch bonnet peppers (optional) and juice from pan thicken with flour or corn starch.


So if you really know me, you know I love me some authentic Jamaican jerk chicken.  YUM.  YUM.  Earlier this month, I was lucky enough to vacation in Jamaica and blessed enough to meet a fantastic man and chef, Earl!  And this Earl certainly does NOT have to die.  Almost every day at RIU Negril on the beach, Earl would set up shop in his hut and serve up the meanest jerk chicken I've had in a while.  Earl, himself is the sweetest, cutest, older Jamaican man I have ever met.  OMG.  Love him.  And his awesomeness shines through in his cooking.  Some days, he would serve rice and beans or plain old white rice with the chicken and maybe some bread.  If you didn't get your fair share early in the afternoon, you'd be bumming and miss out because Earl's food goes fast, MON!  Soo tender, juicy, tasty, and spicy.  Oh.  And there were two bbq like sauces to slap on top of your meal but I thought the meat was just fine naked.  An attempt will be made by yours truly to make this recipe but I am positive it will not even compare to Earl's.  He's magic. 

Thanks to two amigas (you know who you are) for passing along the recipe and the photo of the masterpiece below. 


1 comment:

  1. Oh Earl! How I miss thee! I hope you purchased a bottle of browning while you were there. I don't know if they have this product in the states..but you might be able to find it in a shop that carries jamaican products. If not I suggest using gravymaster or something like that. I will track down my bottle of browning and send you a picture of it. A gal in my office made it and said it was delicious! I am sure she didn't have any browning!

    ReplyDelete